Let’s face it…cats are amazing. Just ask Diane and Scott! Did you know that it has been scientifically proven that owning cats is good for humans’ health and can decrease the occurrence of high blood pressure and other illnesses? Stroking a cat can help to relieve stress, and the feel of a purring cat on your lap conveys a strong sense of security and comfort.
Here are a few more amazing facts about us cats that you will find amazing…
- A cat can make over 100 vocal sounds (dogs can make 10)
- A cat sleeps 14 hours a day
- Cats are the only animal that walk on their claws, not the pads of their feet.
- A cat has 32 muscles in each ear.
- A group of youngsters (kittens) is called a kindle; those old-timers (adult cats) form a clowder.
- The average cat food meal is the equivalent to about five mice.
- People who are allergic to cats are actually allergic to cat saliva or to cat dander. If the resident cat is bathed regularly the allergic people tolerate it better.
- Besides smelling with their nose, cats can smell with an additional organ called the Jacobson’s organ, located in the upper surface of the mouth.
- Like birds, cats have a homing ability that uses it’s biological clock, the angle of the sun, and the Earth’s magnetic field. A cat taken far from it’s home can return to it. But if a cat’s owners move far from it’s home, the cat can’t find them.
- A cat can jump even seven times as high as it is tall.
It’s great being a cat, but it’s even better being a Sydney Funeral Home cat!